Friday, February 11, 2011

Propaganda Photomontage

I had originally started a different photo montage and spent a lot of time using layers and masks but then came upon the original photo of former President Mubarak yesterday on my Yahoo homepage.  I instantly thought of the old Uncle Sam poster and wanted to mix it up a bit.  For each image I first duplicated my background, as it is always a good idea to back up the original.  Too many times I have spent hours editing a picture just to mess up and have to start all over again but did not have the original to start with.  I also added an extra layer that I filled with an off white color to place below the image I was editing (this makes it easier to edit).  Then I used the "quick selection" tool to outline the objects in each picture.  I then used "refine edge" and a mask as displayed on page 163 or our Quickstart Guide to get all the edges.  After this I was able to make a new layer with only the selected image.  On a new file I started dragging and dropping the selected images.  Once this was done I transformed each image to fit to size.  I also did a little more transforming on the Uncle Sam hat to make it look a bit more like a mad hatter hat. I desaturated the image of Mubarak because I thought leaving it in color would distract from the message.  After all was said and done, i then merged all my visable files to make this image. 

4 comments:

  1. The body type is MUCH better. It too large. Make it 12 pt so it doesn't compete with the poster
    The poster. The image itself is poor. It looks like it was blown up from a smaller image. See how its breaking down around the mouth. Try Flickr for a better image

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take it back about the type. When I posted the comment it was in a bold san serif. Its now another much harder to read font.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The image quality of Mubarak is too poor. Start with a bigger better image

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is my favorite image of yours, still. the composition is great, but seeing as this is your first piece for the class it's really great for what it is. I think if you played around with grabbing higher res images and using some of the techniques we all now know, it would really be a great piece.

    ReplyDelete